1945 The YMCA spirit touched the North Penn area with the formulation of the Lansdale Youth Center. The teen youth center helped to meet the social and recreational needs of the community’s young people.
1955 The YMCA made its first official local appearance with the incorporation of the North Penn YMCA. This stage of development was lead by Senator Edwin G. Holl who had been president of the Youth Council and became the first president of this YMCA.
1957 A seven-acre land tract in Lansdale was acquired through donation. A private home on the property served as the YMCA headquarters and program center while leaders dreamed of a building to better serve the growing needs.
1963 More than 800 area residents witnessed the culmination of a dream when the YMCA doors swung open on October 6th. As the YMCA grew over the years, this main facility of the Y became known as the Lansdale branch of the North Penn YMCA.
1970 The first addition to the Lansdale branch included a second swimming pool, fitness center, additional locker rooms and an enlarged parking lot.
1981 A third capital campaign was conducted at the Lansdale branch to provide funding for major energy conservation measures, roofing and lighting improvements and the conversion of the multi-purpose room in to a mini-gymnasium.
1986 The YMCA closed this fiscal year with the first cash surplus in recent history. All pre-school programs and babysitting were assembled from different locations and placed together in the front of the main building. The Harleysville branch was established at 311 Alumni Avenue in Lower Salford Township. This 3500 sq/ft historic building was the former Lower Salford Senior Center and was the site for YMCA nursery school and aerobics programs.
1987 The YMCA Board of Directors approved a development plan that was one of the most ambitious undertakings in the YMCA’s history. The board approved a capital expansion program that included the addition of more facility space to the Lansdale Branch.
1994 The first Long Range Strategic Plan with input form board leaders and staff directors was developed outlining future goals and objectives for the association.
1998 The YMCA Board of Directors approved a project to build a third branch. The Indian Valley Family YMCA will be the first YMCA branch in the United States slated to open on the campus of a full retirement community.
2003 On December 13th, the Indian Valley Family YMCA branch opens with over 1,600 community members attending the grand opening. By year-end, this branch has over 6,000 members.
2004 October 14th, the former LaCrest Health Spa becomes part of the North Penn YMCA family. This 25,000 sq/ft facility is leased space located in the Hillcrest Shopping Center in Lansdale and provides another full facility site for YMCA members to utilize.
2006 Phase II of Indian Valley Family YMCA branch is completed and includes a new gym, wellness center expansion and community rooms.
2010 The YMCA purchases the adjacent property to the Lansdale branch. The site of the former Lans-Bowl Bowling Center.
2012 The YMCA signs an agreement with three other non-profits to co-locate facilities at the 608 East Main Street location. This new Lansdale collaboration project is projected to be a national model of non-profit collaboration, shared resources and cutting edge programs.
2013 The Indian Valley Family YMCA celebrates its 10th Anniversary.
2014 Community leaders, staff and volunteers gather in June for the official groundbreaking of North Penn Commons, the shared campus of Advanced Living Communities, Manna on Main Street, The PEAK Center, and the Lansdale Area Family YMCA.
2016 Renovations to our Lansdale Branch continued with the opening of the Martin Pool that was converted from a lap pool to a family-friendly recreational/lap pool with zero entry, water features, slides, and resistance channel. The new locker rooms, and a brand new six-lane multipurpose lap/recreational pool, on-deck steam room, sauna and whirlpool were opened. On October 8, 2016 we celebrated the grand opening of North Penn Commons! The campus is connected by a beautiful lobby which serves as the hub of activity for all residents, members, clients and community members.