Summer eating especially while on vacation is something we all look forward to. Foods are ripe, fresh and colorful. There are those special foods that most of us associate with happy summer times. But without some planning it’s easy to pack on the pounds. So here are our summer eating tips that can keep vacation fun and keep you healthy.
1. Conscious Eating: This is essential so that you are aware of everything that’s going in your mouth and can plan accordingly. If you eat consciously, you’ll actually enjoy your food more and can plan for treats without sabotaging yourself by overdoing it.
2. Traveling: Car trips can be a caloric disaster. It’s so easy to stop at every convenience store or fast food restaurant along the way. Instead, pack a cooler with healthy snacks of nuts, fruits, granola, and bottles of water. If you want those French fries on the Boardwalk later, why not make sensible choices earlier in the day?
3. Breakfast: Breakfast is always so important but even more important on vacation. Having a good first meal will give you energy and prevent the extreme hunger that can lead to making poor food choices. This is especially true for beach-goers. Do not head to the beach without eating. You can become dehydrated and feel lightheaded from having no fuel in your body. The risk is that you’ll be so hungry that you pounce on the first hot dog or ice cream cone you see when you leave the beach. Eating a piece of fruit, some cereal or yogurt in the morning is the way to go.
4. Barbecues: Don’t you just love a great summer barbecue? Hanging out with friends and family and eating that smoky, grilled food. Be conscious of the menu and make your choices wisely. Have a burger, but opt for a turkey burger, if possible, and think about skipping the roll. Eat the veggies, green salad, and watermelon and be conservative with potato or macaroni salads made with mayonnaise. There is nothing wrong with having a taste of everything but don’t overload your plate. This isn’t your last supper. Leave the party feeling good, not feeling like “Get me to the couch, I’m so stuffed I can’t breathe!”
5. Drinking: We forget that beverages can be sugary and very fattening. Limit alcoholic beverages like Pina Coladas to special occasions. They taste wonderful, but are extremely high in empty calories. Soft drinks with sugar are really liquid candy. Even some of those flavored iced coffees are loaded with hidden fats and calories. A big glass of unsweetened ice tea with lemon, orange or mint leaves is a good way to enjoy a cool refreshing drink. And drink plenty of water, as it will cool you down and hydrate the body especially during a workout.
6. Exercise: Summer is the perfect time to get started. So have your favorite Kohr Brother’s custard. But burn off the calories. Walk, swim, or join workout classes. Get off the couch. Move, breathe and transform yourself.